Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

That was unexpected...

Bi-polar. That's what the neuro psych said. Aspergers is still kinda in the mix, but he's leaning more towards bi-polar. This is devestating to me. This to me means he will be on medication for the rest of his life to keep his moods stable. He really described DS exactly based on his observations. DH and I were both impressed with how well he hit it about him.

The IQ portion of things was super enlightening. Overall he scored average, but the writing portion of the test he was well below average (duh, he has a writing disability!) and everything else was well above average. So the writing part is what put him overall smack dab in the middle. The IQ stuff was scary accurate and in line with our observations of DS.. everything we think he's good or not so good at. Very enlightening!

All in all, I'm in shock. Bi-polar was not what I was expecting at all and I'm sure my face showed it the minute he said those words. I'm processing it all and trying to figure out where we go from here. He talked a lot about getting with our Psych to change meds because there were probably meds that would help him more than the current mix we are on. He was very pro-med which just added to my upset about this.

I don't know where we go from here.. obviously continue with our psych and therapist regularly.. but it just makes me so sad to know this is not something that will ever be under control unless he's medicated. It scares me to even think of how this is going to affect him once hormones are thrown into the mix in a few years when he hits puberty.

It's funny.. aspergers I was totally OK with. I knew it was something he'd struggle with all his life, but I was ok with it. I'm not ok with this and I'm not sure I will be anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment